13 January 2009

You get what you pay for.

Unfortunately, my county pays $6 a day for jury service.
Seriously. Six big ones. But that's not all. We also get 7¢ per mile.
That might have been reasonable compensation in 1957. And it was. But our lawmakers haven't seen fit to raise that amount since then. I'm not aware of anyone else providing a public service who hasn't gotten a raise in 52 years.
I've written about this issue elsewhere and complained to my representatives, but a vigilant citizen (and recent juror) named Jon Nixon has taken up the battle and seems to be getting some traction. http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/976179.html
If you're interested in lending your name to Mr. Nixon's petition drive, email him your name and address at 

1 chimed in:

Kansas Sity Sinic said...

$6 bones? You could make more at McDonalds.

ba da da da daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I'm lovin it,.